Sunday, March 31, 2024

2023 DaMa Wines Grenache Blanc

Happy Easter!  It's been a wonderful day of celebration of the risen Christ and the culmination of the holiest week in Christendom, and I admit I've been cooking most of the day, starting with breakfast frittatas for the worship team at church, then when I got home I started preparing dinner, which cooked all afternoon (more on that in a moment).  Today is also the last Sunday of the month, which makes it Dinner in the Diner Sunday, and I picked a surprising recipe from the Missouri Pacific Railroad, which used to run behind my uncle's house when I was growing up.  As for the wine, I picked a nice white wine for this meal, one that I received last week in my wine club shipment from DaMa Wines, the 2023 Grenache Blanc.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2023 DaMa Wines Grenache Blanc

The wine is a crazy pale gold color in the glass, making this a truly white wine!  A swirl of the glass reveals captivating aromas of ripe pear, honeysuckle and a hint of citrus.  The first sip has your mind racing to Asia, with a rush of sweet fruit, pear, white peach and hibiscus dancing around your palate, before easing into some modest minerality midpalate.  The finish is dry, crisp and refreshing, an ideal wine for sipping on the summer patio.

"Curry of Lamb, Indian Style" with curry braised lamb shank over basmati rice and topped with pea tendrils

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as even though I'm not a big white wine enthusiast, I'll make an exception for this one.  This wine would pair well with a variety of summer salads, Asian dishes, or lighter fish dishes like a roasted branzino.  Tonight, I am pairing this wine with a "Curry of Lamb, Indian Style" recipe from the Missouri Pacific Railroad dining car, though I took some liberty in braising lamb shanks with the curry broth, before adding some additional veggies and the coconut milk and rue to thicken this delicious sauces, served over steamed basmati rice and garnished with fresh pea tendrils.  Cheers!


"Curry of Lamb, Indian Style" recipe from the Missouri Pacific Railroad dining car

No comments:

Post a Comment