Saturday, March 30, 2024

2021 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  I am having an early dinner tonight so I can watch "The Ten Commandments" on television tonight, so I need to cook by 7:00 pm!  Given my planned dinner, I thought it appropriate to open a big red wine tonight, so I've done just that with a 2021 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Cabernet Sauvignon.  This wine is a consistently solid Cabernet, though my second favorite from Seven Hills as the Summit View Cabernet has a special place in my heart.  In any case, let's see what this latest vintage has to offer!

2021 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with a deep indigo at the center, just as you'd expect from a well-crafted Cabernet.  A gentle swirl reveals aromas of earthy leather and pipe tobacco, ripe blackberry and cherry, with just a faint undertone of mint.  The first sip is a rush of tart cherry that really takes you by surprise as the rest of the ripe black fruit struggles to get in gear.  Midpalate, you enjoy some mild caramel and vanilla bean, that plays well with some white pepper spice toward the finish.  The tannins are nicely structured, making for a velvety dry finish that just lingers for a minute or more.

Pan-seared New York Strip topped with blistered cherry tomatoes, oven roasted yellow and purple potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a classic example of the wonderful Cabernet coming out of the Walla Walla Valley of Washington.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty dishes, from steaks and lamb, to rich barbecue or hearty pasta.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a rare, pan-seared New York Strip topped with blistered cherry tomatoes, oven roasted yellow and purple potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment