Saturday, March 23, 2024

2020 Willamette Valley Vineyards Estate Pinot Noir

Happy Saturday!  I had so much planned for today, but as I look back, I pretty much accomplished nothing on my list of chores.  That's all right though, weekends are meant for relaxing and I am feeling more relaxed this evening, so I'll call that a win!  Tonight, I've opened a bottle of 2020 Willamette Valley Vineyards Estate Pinot Noir, which I believe will be a great wine to pair with tonight's dinner and as a shareholder, I'm always happy to support my investments!  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2020 Willamette Valley Vineyards Estate Pinot Noir

The wine is a beautiful pale ruby color in the glass, with nice clarity, just as you'd expect from a nice Pinot Noir.  A swirl of the glass reveals aromas of strawberry, earthy peat, basalt and hints of peppery spice.  Take a sip and your palate is awash in ripe red fruit, cherry, strawberry and currant that easily transition to some earthy notes of tar and basalt, with a good bit of peppery spice midpalate.  The tannins are subdued, but still present a nice backbone for the smooth dry finish.

Roasted beet risotto, topped with shaved parmesan and amaranth microgreens

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a really pleasant example of a quality Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, with all the character and funk you'd expect.  This wine would pair well with a variety of dishes, from fresh salmon to Dungeness crab, hearty lamb shank to an earthy risotto.  Speaking of which, tonight I am pairing this wine with a new dish I've been anxious to try making, a hearty roasted beet risotto, topped with shaved parmesan and amaranth microgreens.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment