Saturday, March 16, 2024

2018 Vallée des Aigles IGP Côtes Catalanes Carignan

Happy Saturday!  I was planning to do yard work today, but it was too windy to get the leaf blower out, so instead I decided to build my raised garden bed and dig around the foundation of the shed and fill it with river rock to help drainage.  So a productive day of hard work and now I'm ready for a nice meal and glass of wine.  Tonight, I've opened a bottle of 2018 Vallée des Aigles IGP Côtes Catalanes Carignan that I recently purchased from Wines Till Sold Out.  Carignan is mainly used as a blending grape with Southern Rhone blends, and I think this is the first time I've tried the single varietal.  This wine was made from fruit harvested from 60-100 year old vines in the Languedoc-Roussillon region in the south of France near the Spanish border and the Mediterranean.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting.

2018 Vallée des Aigles IGP Côtes Catalanes Carignan

The wine is a deep ruby in the glass, somewhat reminiscent of a nice Cabernet.  A gentle swirl in the glass reveals aromas of sweet cherry, raspberry and aged leather, with soft floral undertones.  Take a sip and you're palate is awash in sweet fruit, cherry, raspberry and currant, that has acidity that at first blush makes you think of sweet-tarts candy, but then the taste evolves into some rich minerality and white pepper spice, before the smooth tannins kick in for added complexity on the long dry finish.

Sesame crusted tuna steak topped with sunflower sprouts, steamed rice and broccoli, with a citrus wasabi dipping sauce

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a surprisingly pleasant expression of a varietal that happily lives in the background.  This wine was also a terrific value at just $14 (I wish I'd bought more!).  This wine would pair well with hearty lamb dishes, beef stew or hearty pasta dishes.  Tonight, I am taking a bold departure and enjoying this wine with a sesame crusted tuna steak topped with sunflower sprouts, steamed rice and broccoli, with a citrus wasabi dipping sauce.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment