Sunday, April 7, 2024

2020 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Petit Verdot

Happy Sunday!  I had a matinée performance today, but that gave me some time to get my dinner in the oven between Church and heading to the theater, so I feel as though I accomplished a lot today!  So as I relax on this Sunday evening, I am ready to enjoy some wonderful comfort food for Sunday dinner, along with a nice bottle of wine.  Tonight, I've opened a bottle of a Bordeaux varietal from one of my favorite Walla Walla producers, the 2020 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Petit Verdot.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2020 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Petit Verdot

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, just as you'd expect from this often blending grape.  A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of blackberry, leather and oak, amid undertones of violet and lilac.  The first sip is an adventurous ride between fruit and spice, with a rush of black cherry, blackberry and currant dancing amid baking spice, vanilla bean and anise before easing into some tawny spice midpalate.  The tannins are wonderfully vibrant, providing for a lovely backbone to the long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish.

Braised short ribs, served over roasted garlic mashed potatoes and red wine reduction, with oven roasted broccoli rabe

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a perfect balance of sweet ripe fruit and earthy dryness that makes this an ideal wine for enjoying with food or just sipping with friends.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty dishes, from steaks and chops to beef stew and hearty pasta.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with some braised short ribs, served over roasted garlic mashed potatoes and red wine reduction, with oven roasted broccoli rabe.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment