Sunday, April 28, 2024

2021 Forgeron Cellars Grenache

Happy Sunday!  I had a chance to do a little relaxing today, went out to see a movie in addition to doing laundry and a little office work, so now it's time for a nice Sunday dinner and glass of wine.  For dinner, it's the last Sunday of the month, which means it's time for "Dinner in the Diner" when I try a recipe that was once features on one of the classic passenger trains of the 20th Century.  But first, the wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2021 Forgeron Cellars Grenache, which is a 100% Grenache from the Boushey Vineyard in the Yakima Valley AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2021 Forgeron Cellars Grenache

The wine is an easy garnet color in the glass, just as you might expect from this varietal.  A swirl of the glass reveals aromas of blackberry, currant and a hint of mint over the top.  Take a sip and you're in for a rush of ripe fruit, cherry, currant and plum, that transitions to some notes of cinnamon and spice midpalate. The tannins are well integrated, providing for a lovely dry finish with some lingering earthy notes at the end.

Seafood Newburg with scallops, shrimp, mushrooms and peas

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a pleasant drinking, food friendly, lighter red wine ideal for the summer months (did I mention it was 82 degrees here today?).  Tonight, I am pairing this wine with a classic recipe from the dining cars on the Pennsylvania Railroad, Seafood Newburg!  It doesn't get much more classically 20th century than seafood in a sherry cream sauce!  I admit I took a few liberties with this recipe and added just scallops and shrimp, as that's what I had on hand, but I also added some peas to give it a little color as well.  The spice and tart fruit of this wine are a perfect foil to the richness of this dish.  Cheers!

Pennsylvania Railroad Seafood Newberg Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment