Sunday, May 17, 2020

2017 Forgeron Barbera

Well happy Sunday!  It was raining much of the day here, so I had a chance to catch up on a few chores around the inside of the house, but overall it was just a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon.  And now I've decided to open up a nice bottle of wine to enjoy this evening.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2017 Forgeron Barbera, a 100% Barbera from the Sagemoor Vineyard in the Columbia Valley AVA of Washington.  So let's see how this food friendly wine is tasting!

2017 Forgeron Cellars Sagemoor Barbera

The wine is a deep inky black at the center, with ample garnet around the edges.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, cherry and a bit of violet, that speaks of subtlety.  The taste makes up for the subtlety of the nose with an explosion of ripe fruit, blackberry, cherry and currant with an enduring acidity that lingers throughout before the flavors transition to some lovely mineral notes, and a hint of vanilla caramel.  The tannins are well integrated, balancing the acidity for a wonderfully smooth, dry finish.

Classic tuna casserole!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as Forgeron consistently produces my favorite efforts in this varietal.  This wine is very food friendly and ideal for summer, where it would ably pair with barbecue, burgers, steaks or brats.  Unfortunately, with all the rain today, I am cooking my Sunday dinner indoors and opting for a comfort food favorite of tuna casserole, made just like my mom used to make it, with crumbled up potato chips on top.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment