Friday, May 8, 2020

2017 Pepper Bridge Vineyard Walla Walla Red Wine

Well, things just continue to get weird during this whole pandemic.  Today I stopped at Walgreens and they finally had toilet paper in my preferred brand so I picked up some, but then I went to the grocery store and was informed that I was buying too much meat as I had three packages of steak and they are only allowing two...so now I'm really getting worried!  If it took two months to get toilet paper back on the shelves, I shudder to think how I'll survive months without steak!  This may turn in to a wine and ramen noodle blog!  In any case, to celebrate the two steaks I got, I've decided to open a bottle of a recent wine club shipment from Pepper Bridge Winery, the 2017 Pepper Bridge Vineyard red wine.  This wine is a blend of Merlot (52%), Malbec (23%), Petit Verdot (13%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (12%), all from the Pepper Bridge Vineyard in the Walla Walla Valley.  So let's see how this vintage is tasting!

2017 Pepper Bridge Vineyard Red Wine

The wine is an inky affair at the center, with bright fuchsia along the edges, as you might expect from a Merlot- and Malbec-heavy blend.  The nose is a pleasant combination of ripe blackberry, currant and blueberry with hints of leather and anise.  The taste is a rush of blueberry and blackberry in jammy quantities, that transitions to some mineral and earthy notes midpalate.  The tannins are stout, which combined with the surprising acidity provide for a vibrant, and very dry finish.

Rare grilled Madras curry rubbed T-bone with grilled leeks and steamed broccoli

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's drinking nicely now, but will likely soften a bit with some time in the cellar.  This wine would pair with a variety of dishes, from barbecue to pasta, pizza to steak, as the fruit just makes a great partner for great food.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled Madras curry rubbed T-bone on a bed of grilled leeks, with a baked potato and some steamed broccoli.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment