Tuesday, May 12, 2020

2013 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Petit Verdot

Happy Taco Tuesday, guess what I'm having for dinner?  Well, it's been a busy day and I'm happy to have a chance to relax and enjoy some dinner and a nice glass of wine tonight.  And for this momentous mid-week excursion, I've opened a bottle that I stumbled upon in the cellar over the weekend, the 2013 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Petit Verdot.  Last week, Seven Hills founder and wine maker Casey McClellan did a virtual tasting of some of these less popular varietals, so I suppose I was inspired.  Let's see what this wine has to offer!

2013 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Petit Verdot

The wine is a deep, inky purple at the center, with some bright garnet hues along the edges.  The nose is an intriguing combination of black fruit, sweet cherry, lavender and mineral notes that just make me feel like I'm enjoying a glass of wine in an old college library.  The taste is a rush of cherry cola and blackberry that transitions to notes of sweet-tarts (yes the candy!) and dusty mineral essence midpalate.  The tannins are well integrated and supportive of the wonderfully smooth, dry finish with a bit of bright acidity at the end.

Steak fajita tacos!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a really pleasant drinking wine that is representative of a fabulous varietal that you don't often get to enjoy.  This wine would pair well with steaks and chops, pizza and pasta, but since it's taco Tuesday, tonight I'm enjoying this wine with steak tacos!  I had some trimmings from a whole tenderloin I bought last weekend after slicing some nice filets, so I seared those with some spices and sauteed them them with onions and peppers and created some fajita tacos.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment