Sunday, May 24, 2020

2017 Helix SoRho

Happy Sunday!  I confess I've spend much of the day relaxing which is a switch from yesterday when it seemed like I was going non-stop all day.  But at least I got the flowers planted and the yard work done before the thunderstorms came.  So tonight I've set my mind to food and wine, and I've opened a bottle of the 2017 Helix SoRho, a southern Rhone style blend of Mourvedre (49%), Grenache (28%) and Cinsault (23%) from the Stone Tree Vineyard in the Wahluke Slope AVA of Washington.  So let's see how this vintage is shaping up!

2017 Helix Stone Tree SoRho

The wine is a lighter color in the glass, with great ruby clarity.  The nose is classic Rhone, with fresh herbal notes of green grass, earthy peat and dusty limestone underlying hints of rhubarb and strawberries.  The taste is a surprising rush of sweet berry fruit, boysenberry, raspberry and currant that transitions easily to notes of black tea and peppery spice midpalate.  The tannins are well integrated, providing the backbone for the long, smooth and very dry finish, with just a hint of acidity at the end.

Smoked lamb loin chop with grilled romanesco and roasted root vegetables

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's drinking very well and would be an ideal summer red wine.  This wine would pair well with a variety of rustic dished, from mushroom risotto, to ratatouille, lamb to port tenderloin.  Tonight I am using this meal to try new things, as I bought a stainless steel smoking tray to use in my gas grill.  Tonight I've taken some Jack Daniels barrel chips to smoke some lamb loin chops along with some oven roasted root vegetables and grilled romanesco.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment