Sunday, May 10, 2020

2017 DaMa Walla Walla Merlot

Happy Sunday!  It's been cold and thunderstormy here today, so I've spent much of the day indoors doing some work as well as some work around the house.  So now it's time for some Sunday dinner and a glass of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2017 DaMa Wines Walla Walla Merlot, a 100% Merlot from the Seven Hills Vineyard.  This bottle was part of my wine club shipment last week, so let see what this wine has to offer.

2017 DaMa Walla Walla Valley Merlot

The wine is a lighter color in the glass, with lots of bright ruby and great clarity.  The nose is an elegant combination of Bing cherry, smoke and a hint of dried herbs.  The taste is a rush of tart cherry, cranberry and pomegranate that gracefully evolves into notes of earthy oak and lavender midpalate.  The gripping tannins provide for an ideal base for a long, smooth and very dry finish that lingers on the palate. 

Filet mignon seared rare and basted with butter, garlic and thyme with linguine and broccoli rabe

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a pleasant drinking wine, but a bit lighter than I would prefer in a Merlot.  This wine would pair well with a range of dishes, from pasta and burgers to steaks and barbecue.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare filet mignon, seared rare and basted with butter, garlic and fresh thyme, along with some linguine tossed with garlic, olive oil and broccoli rabe (I confess I made way too much pasta so at least I have lunch for tomorrow).  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment