Saturday, May 30, 2020

2013 Helix Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  I had the chance to go to the farmers market this morning and picked up some basil plants (purple, Thai and Tuscan) and found out that they should have some garlic scapes next week, so watch out!  Then I spend much of the afternoon doing yard work, mowing, weeding, and I finally got the patio furniture and fire pit out so I'm ready for outdoor dining.  I find something cathartic about yard work, where the cares of the world and everyday life just seem to fade away as I'm digging up dandelions or trimming branches.  So tonight I've opened a bottle of wine I've apparently had in the cupboard for a while, the 2013 Helix Cabernet Sauvignon, from the Phinney Hill Vineyard in the Columbia Valley of Washington.  So let's see how this wine is tasting!

2013 Helix Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is an inky black at the center with bright ruby along the edges as you might expect for a Cabernet.  The nose is rich with black fruit, blackberry, plum, cherry and currant, overlaid with hints of prune and rose petal.  The taste takes a very different path, with some distinct floral notes up front before transitioning to some ripe black fruit and black pepper spice midpalate.  The tannins are ever so smooth, providing for a wonderfully dry, lingering finish.

Rare filet mignon, baked potato with sour cream and chives and sugar snap peas

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, I'm not sure whether its the extra couple years in the cellar or something else, but this Columbia Valley Cabernet is punching well above it's weight class!  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty meat dishes, from venison and lamb to classic steaks.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a smoke grilled filet mignon, baked potato with sour cream and chives and some steamed sugar snap peas.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment