Tuesday, October 22, 2019

2017 Concha y Toro Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, it's been a relatively quiet week so far, but I think things are going to get busier soon!  I found out over the weekend that I've been cast as Ebeneezer Scrooge in the Elkhart Civic Theatre's radio play of "A Christmas Carol"!  Last year I had such fun playing Henry F. Potter in the radio play of
"It's A Wonderful Life" that I thought I'd try again (maybe I really am a warped frustrate old man after all?).  In any case, tonight I'm enjoying a wine I bought at a wine bar in Grand Rapids about a year ago, the 2017 Concha y Toro Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon, a lovely wine from Chile!

2017 Conch y Toro Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is classic Cabernet color, with an inky center and bright garnet along the edges.  The nose is a delightful combination of ripe cherry, blackberry and currant with hints of cedar over the top.  The taste is cool at first, with notes of blackberry, cherry and currant that transition to some notes of dark chocolate and peppery spice midpalate.  The tannins are well integrated providing some nice backbone for the long, smooth and very dry finish.

Tacos, black beans and rice

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a very nice, easy drinking everyday red wine at a price well under $20.  This wine would pair well with grilled steaks, lamb or hearty stew, but since it's taco Tuesday, tonight I am enjoying this with some classic beef tacos along with some black beans with fire roasted poblano peppers and white rice.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment