Sunday, October 13, 2019

2017 Flying B Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  This should be a relaxing day, but alas I have been working on setting up my upcoming half semester class I am teaching and getting ready for an audition at Elkhart Civic Theatre tonight as well.  So, I guess I can fit in a glass of wine amid all that activity and tonight's wine was in a recent wine club shipment from the Bledsoe Family Winery, and one which has some big shoes to fill as the last vintage was just stunning (see here: 2016 Flying B Cabernet).  This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (75%) and Syrah (25%) from the Bob Healy, Lefore, Seven Hills and Loess Vineyards in the Walla Walla Valley AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this year's vintage is tasting!

2017 Flying B Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a classic inky black Cabernet with nice garnet at the edges.  The nose is a rich combination of leather, cherry, blueberry and plum with a hint of vanilla.  The taste is remarkably smooth, with ripe black fruit that sort of eases up on you, blackberry, currant and plum, that fade as easily as they came, revealing hints of vanilla bean and mocha midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured, with a bit of tightness at the end of the long, smooth and wonderfully dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.

Angus New York Strip with grilled leeks and Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's just a classic Walla Walla Cabernet, but not quite to the level of the 2016 vintage.  I have no doubt this one will remain a classic in my cellar, so I'll have to ration it accordingly!  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty fall dishes, from braised short ribs to ratatouille to hearty pasta or risotto.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare Angus New York Strip along with grilled leeks and some bacon roasted Brussels sprouts and a baked purple potato, which is a first for me! Cheers!

Baked purple potato

No comments:

Post a Comment