Friday, September 21, 2018

2016 Flying B Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

So today as I was about to head out and run some errands, the UPS guy showed up with my Bledsoe Family Wines fall wine club shipment!  Woo hoo!  What a way to head into the weekend!  So I've decided to open a bottle of the 2016 Flying B Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon and see how the second vintage is tasting (I reviewed the first vintage here).  This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (85%) and Syrah (15%) from the Bob Healy, Lefore, Loess and Seven Hills Vineyards in the Walla Walla Valley.  I had a chance to meet the winemaker, Josh McDaniels last spring and I was impressed, so let's see how he's done with this wine!


The wine is a deep inky purple at the center with bright garnet along the edges, just as you might expect from a quality Cabernet.  The nose is chock full of blueberry, raspberry and green cedar aromas that give you a strong sense of what you're about to experience.  The taste is just a showstopper, much beyond what the aromas had me expecting.  A harmony of earthy green grass overlaid with floral hints, that reach higher to notes of dark chocolate and tobacco amid the full and velvety mouthfeel.  The tannins are silky smooth as the dry finish just marks the apex of a tasting experience that should rightfully last an entire afternoon.


It's hard to describe this wine without superlatives, so I would happily rate this wine a solid 9.5, perhaps one of the best wines I've tasted this year and such a big leap beyond the first vintage (though I really liked that one too!).  This wine practically begs to be paired with a big, rich, prime steak grilled to perfection, but I could also just see myself sipping this one on the porch tonight!  I am enjoying this wine with a marinaded tagliata steak along with a loaded baked potato and grilled Brussels sprouts, but none of that seems very important to me right now.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment