Saturday, September 15, 2018

2015 Chateau Vieux Robin Medoc

Happy Saturday!  I have to admit, I've been battling a cold all week long, so I've been hesitant to taste any new wines figuring if I can't smell that might impact my view of the wines.  But I'm now well on the road to recovery, so I've decided to open a bottle of 2015 Chateau Vieux Robin Medoc.  I am a big fan of Medoc, and I found this one at Costco for under $15 (so this could well be a future wine club selection for my office mates).  So let's see how this one tastes.


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass just as you'd expect from a nice left bank Bordeaux with heavy concentrations of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.  The nose is classic Bordeaux, with wonderfully earthy notes of leather and peat intermingled with ripe black fruit, plum, fig and just a hint of floral overtones.  The taste is fruit forward, with some notes of black plum, blackberry and currant that shift to a bit of tart cherry and caramel midpalate.  The tannins are still a bit tight, providing a nice base for the long, smooth and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a very nice example of a quality Medoc at a very attractive price point.  This wine would pair well with a lot of hearty fall dishes, from braised short ribs to beef stew.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime cowboy cut ribeye (also from Costco) over a bed of grilled leeks with some grilled broccoli rabe and a baked potato with all the fixin's.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment