Thursday, September 20, 2018

2012 Koyle Gran Reserva Carmenere

Happy Thursday!  I've been on the road this week and just got home.  I really need a nice steak and a nice glass of wine, and of course I'm in luck since I'm home!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of a future office wine club selection and one I recently purchased from Wines Till Sold Out, the 2012 Koyle Gran Reserva Carmenere from the Alto Colchagua Valley of Chile.  This wine is a blend of Carmenere (86.5%), Malbec (8%), Cabernet Franc (3%) and Petit Verdot (2.5%).  So let's see how this one tastes.


The wine is a lovely deep garnet color in the glass.  The nose presents aromas of green grass, tart cherry and spice box, typical of a nice Carmenere.  The taste is a rush of rich black fruit up front, blackberry and currant with a overlay of fig that transitions nicely to some mocha and dark chocolate notes midpalate with a peppery spice reprise.  The tannins are nicely structured, providing a wonderful backbone for the long, smooth and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's drinking very nicely now, but likely has just about reached it's peak.  This wine was also a very nice value for just $12!  It would pair well with a variety of hearty dishes, from big steaks to chili to rich pasta.  Tonight I'm enjoying it with a rare grilled prime porterhouse that I bought at Eataly in Chicago earlier in the week along with some steamed broccoli and a big baked potato.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment