Sunday, October 6, 2019

2016 Helix Cabernet Franc

It seems as I get older, time passes by more quickly, particularly weekends as it seemed it was just Friday and suddenly Monday is at my doorstep.  Well to help soothe the apprehension of a new work week, I've decided to open a bottle of a wine club shipment from Reininger Winery that arrived last week, the 2016 Helix Cabernet Franc.  This wine is a 100% Cabernet Franc sourced from the Weinbau and XL Vineyards in the Wahluke Slope of the Columbia Valley of Washington.  I'm looking forward to tasting this wine, as I have experienced some of the fantastic Cabernet Franc that Chuck and his team have created from the XL Vineyard, so let's see how this vintage is shaping up!

2016 Helix Cabernet Franc

The wine is a warm garnet color in the glass, quite characteristic of the varietal.  The nose presents rich aromas of leather and sandalwood intermingled with ripe red berry fruit.  The taste is a rush of cherry, raspberry and currant up front, with a hint of vanilla bean and caramel midpalate.  The tannins are nicely rounded, providing for a long, velvety and very dry finish, with a bit of acidity at the end.  This wine just reminds me of having a nice evening of dessert and coffee with friends, very pleasant to be around and it leaves you satisfied at the end.

Beef tacos

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as I think this is just a fabulous example of a pure secondary varietal that is so often overlooked outside of a Bordeaux style blend.  This wine would pair well with a broad range of dishes, from hearty roasts and stews, to glazed pork tenderloin to cedar planked salmon.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a more simplified dinner of beef tacos with all the trimmings.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment