Saturday, October 19, 2019

2016 Duckhorn Napa Valley Merlot

Well, my long week is over and it's time for a bit of relaxation.  I have to admit I didn't do much today beyond a few chores, so hopefully I'll be more motivated to do some yard work tomorrow.  But tonight it's time for dinner and a nice glass of wine and tonight it's a wine from Napa Valley's outstanding 2016 vintage (I've been reading a significant amount of praise for this vintage recently), the 2016 Duckhorn Napa Valley Merlot. This wine is a blend of Merlot (77%), Cabernet Sauvignon (22%) and a touch of Malbec (0.5%) and Petit Verdot (0.5%).  So let's see if this wine lives up to the praise!

2016 Duckhorn Napa Valley Merlot

The wine is a deep inky black at the center, with bright ruby along the edges, a bit more like a Cabernet than a pure Merlot.  The nose is a lofty combination of blackberry, vanilla, leather and a hint of anise.  The taste is a rush of ripe fruit, bing cherry, blackberry and currant, with just a hint of strawberry to throw you off balance.  The tannins are silky smooth with bright acidity that provides a bit of a twang on the lingering dry finish.

Zahtar spiced Angus New York Strip, red potatoes and Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's certainly a solid effort for a Merlot, but I'm interested to see how this might develop over the next few years.  Unlike a the seemingly singular food pairing focus of Napa Cabernet with steak, I would enjoy this wine with a broad range of dishes, from beef stew to chili to pasta to salmon, and of course steak.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a Zahtar spiced Angus New York strip, with some parsley buttered red potatoes and steamed Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment