Wednesday, March 14, 2018

2015 Forgeron Cellars Primitivo

Happy Wine Wednesday!  Not only is it Wine Wednesday, it's also March 14th, or "Pi Day" which means you can easily guess what's for dessert tonight. But before we get there, I've decided to open a bottle of my recent wine club shipment from Forgeron Cellars, the 2015 Primitivo, from the Stone Tree Vineyard in the Wahluke Slope AVA.  I am a big fan of Marie Eve's efforts in Primitivo especially, so let's see how this year's vintage stacks up!


The wine is a deep inky color in the glass and the nose presents some striking aromas of blackberry, plum and currant with earthy notes of leather and violets intermingled throughout.  The taste is a wonderfully expressive combination of black fruit up front that gently transitions to some hearty dark chocolate and spice notes midpalate.  The tannins are remarkably smooth and well structured, providing for a velvety, long and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as I think it's a fine expression of the varietal and the terroir of the Wahluke Slope.  This wine strikes me as incredibly versatile as I could easily enjoy it with anything from tacos to pizza to steaks and classic Italian dishes.  But tonight I am once again taking the road less traveled and enjoying this with some maple glazed steelhead, roasted garlic and pecan rice and steamed asparagus.  And of course, a slice of blueberry pie for dessert!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment