Saturday, March 24, 2018

2012 Orin Swift Abstract

Happy Saturday!  I spent much of my day at a Board meeting in Chicago, so of course that meant a quick stop at Eataly before heading home (more on that later on in this post!) and now I'm ready for a nice glass of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle that I found in the cellar recently, I remember buying it but don't remember drinking it, hence I've opened it tonight, the 2012 Orin Swift Abstract.  This wine is a Rhone style blend of primarily Grenache, Petite Sirah and Syrah from Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino Counties in California.  I find that Orin Swift produces some interesting blends, so let's see what this one has to offer.


The wine is a deep inky color at the center with bright ruby along the edges that reminds me more of a Cabernet than a Grenache heavy blend, no doubt a nod to the Petite Sirah in the blend.  The nose is chock full of blackberry, plum and some wonderful dried sage.  The taste is a rush of black cherry, plum and kirsch that transitions nicely to some notes of black tea and dark chocolate midpalate.  The tannins are soft but well structured, providing for a lingering and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a lovely blend that would resonate with anyone that appreciates the art of getting varietals to play well together.  It was also a very good value at just $30.  This wine would pair well with steaks and chops, barbecue or pasta, but tonight I've gone down south and am pairing this with a pan-seared, cajun spiced veal loin chop, some red beans and rice and steamed asparagus.  The wine is just a great combination with the spice and wonderful earthy flavor of the veal.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment