Friday, June 29, 2018

2015 Spoken Barrel Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Friday!  Tonight I've opened another bottle of wine that I bought last weekend at my local supermarket's 15% off wine sale, the 2015 Spoken Barrel Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  This one had an interesting look, I'm a sucker for painted labels, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Plus it was pretty inexpensive, so what do I have to lose?


The wine is a deep inky color in the glass with some nice garnet along the edges, just as you'd expect from a Cabernet.  The nose is fairly standard Cabernet, with some aromas of leather, cherry, smoke and oak.  The taste is a brief rush of black fruit, which transitions to some notes of cassis and vanilla midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat subdued, but still supportive of the smooth dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, it's a quite pleasant drinking wine, but not spectacular (though it was a pretty good value at just $17).  This would be an easy sipper for a weeknight house red wine and would pair well with a broad range of foods, from pasta or burgers, to steak or barbecue.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic steak dinner, rare prime bone-in ribeye with tater tots and grilled asparagus!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment