Sunday, June 24, 2018

2015 House Wine Red Blend

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, my local supermarket was having a sale on all wines, 15% off, so I decided to pick up a bunch of wines that I likely wouldn't have bought otherwise.  So tonight I've twisted off the cap on a bottle of 2015 House Wine red blend, originally a creation of Charles Smith in Walla Walla, this value priced wine has evolved to include wine sourced from Washington, California and Idaho, making this a true "American" blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Petit Verdot, and other red varietals.  So let's see if this one makes it in my house!


The wine is a lighter body, with bright garnet color in the glass.  The nose is somewhat subdued, with notes of leather, smoke, blackberry and cassis.  The taste is somewhat fruit forward, with a blast of blackberry jam that transitions to some hints of mint and peppery spice midpalate.  That tannins are a bit sharp, but the finish is nice and dry with a lingering of black fruit.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7, it's nothing spectacular, but it's a decent drinking red table wine that was a bargain at just $8.  This wine would be good with a variety of hearty dishes, from steaks and burgers, to barbecue and pizza, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with pasta on the patio, some three cheese tortelini with a tomato cream sauce.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment