Saturday, June 23, 2018

2015 Stave and Steel Cabernet Sauvignon

So today I went to my local supermarket for my usual grocery shopping endeavor, and to my surprise they were having a special on wine with all bottles 15% off, so although I seldom shop for wine at the supermarket this gave me a motivation to explore.  I ended up finding five bottles, two were Charles Shaw wines from Washington, which are usually a good bet for supermarket wine, but then I saw this 2015 Stave and Steel Cabernet Sauvignon from California and I was fascinated, as it it was "bourbon barrel aged."  Now apparently aging alcoholic beverages in used bourbon barrels is all the rage right now, with beer makers doing it, and now apparently wine makers as well.  To be fair, the wine was aged in these barrels for just four months, so it wasn't like they spent years in there, but I'm willing to give it a try, so let's see how it tastes!


The wine is a lovely garnet color in the glass, with nice clarity, somewhat lighter than you might expect from a big California Cabernet.  The nose is quite nice, with sophisticated aromas of leather, tobacco, dried herbs, certainly the nose portrays a wine of quality well beyond the price I paid.  The taste is a rush of ripe blueberries, cherry and plum at the outset, that evolves into an almost prune or raisin flavor mixed with vanilla and smoky pepper spice midpalate.  In many ways the wine reminded me a lot of a nice Amarone with the flavor profile.  The tannins were refined, yet somewhat soft, leading to a long, smooth and dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as the bourbon barrel aging certainly adds something to this wine as it's tasting well beyond its weight class for a wine I just bought for $19!  This is certainly an interesting one, and not your traditional big fruit bomb Cabernet, but more like an old world Cabernet, or as I mentioned an Amarone with the fruit and spice concentration.  In any case, this wine is practically begging to be paired with a nice big steak or some barbecue.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled coffee-rubbed prime filet mignon over a bed of grilled leeks, with some Brussels sprouts grilled with bacon and corn on the cob.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment