Saturday, June 30, 2018

2015 Oberon Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, it's been incredibly hot and humid here today, so I've spend much of the day indoors as I am not so good with excessive heat.  In that light, I've opened up what I hope will be a good wine with the dinner I have planned, the 2015 Oberon Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  This wine a product of Michael Mondavi, a family that has done so much to elevate American and Napa Valley wine over the years, so I'm looking forward to this one. 


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, somewhat lighter than the big, bold Cabernet you typically see from Napa Valley.  The nose presents aromas of leather, green grass and black fruit, with an overwhelming sense of freshness, almost like a breath of spring air.  The taste is a delightful rush of ripe black fruit, black cherry, plum and blueberry that just completely envelops the palate before transitioning to some light mineral notes intermingled with a hint of vanilla bean midpalate.  The tannins are soft but well integrated, making for a long, velvety smooth and dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as I must admit my expectations weren't that high for a sub-$20 Napa Cabernet from Costco.  This wine is perfect for everyday drinking and would pair well with the classics for Cabernet, a big, hearty steak, which of course you know I have, so tonight I'm enjoying this one with a rare grilled thick Angus T-bone on a bed of grilled leeks along with mashed potatoes and chives and some steamed broccoli.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment