Tuesday, September 26, 2023

2020 Forgeron Cellars Mourvèdre

Happy Taco Tuesday!  I bet you'll never guess what's for dinner tonight... In any case, I needed to find something to pair with my tacos, which I find to be an adventurous food for pairings as you can go anywhere from an Argentine Malbec to Napa Cabernet to Spanish Rioja.  Today, I've taken the road less traveled and am enjoying them with a Rhone blending varietal, the 2020 Forgeron Cellars Mourvèdre!  This wine is a 100% Mourvèdre from the Heart of the Hill Vineyard in the Red Mountain AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this one tastes!

2020 Forgeron Cellars Mourvèdre

The wine is a bright ruby color in the glass, a bit darker than you would see in the Grenache that you might normally blend with Mourvèdre.  A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of sweet cherry, mint and tawny port, with mild oak undertones.  The first sip is a rush of ripe black cherry, currant and plum that ease into some earthy notes of dusty limestone and dark chocolate midpalate.  The tannins are robust and well integrated for the long, smooth dry finish that will have you quickly reaching for another sip.

Steak fajita tacos

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as I think it's one of the better examples of a Mourvèdre that I've tasted.  This wine would pair well with a range of dishes, from steaks and barbecue, to Mediterranean Cioppino, but as I alluded earlier, tonight I am enjoying this wine with some fajita steak tacos with all the trimmings.  This wine holds up exceptionally well to the spice I employ, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment