Sunday, September 24, 2023

2022 Hazlitt Dry Rosé

Happy Sunday!  Yesterday I had one of the busiest days I can remember, so today I've decided to take it easy, cooking some slow roasted comfort food for dinner, doing a bit of yard work and laundry, and now I'm ready for a nice glass of wine.  Tonight, I've opened a bottle of rosé that I picked up on my recent vacation and wine tasting side trip to the Finger Lakes region of New York.  The 2022 Hazlitt Dry Rosé is made from 100% Cabernet Franc from the Hazlitt 1852 Home Farm Vineyard in the Seneca Lake region of the Finger Lakes.  So, let's see how this wine is shaping up!

2022 Hazlitt Dry Rosé

The wine is a lovely pale peach color in the glass, quite in character for the current trends in rosé.  A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of strawberry, watermelon and green grass with a hint of lemon zest.  Take a sip and you're greeted with a fresh, clean depth of peach, strawberry and citrus that wash over your palate, before transitioning to some notes of green grass and a bit of minerality midpalate.  The finish is crisp and dry, ideal for summer sipping on the patio (which is rapidly coming to a close!).

Vermont maple syrup glazed ham, mashed potatoes and steamed peas

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5 as this wine stacks up to some of the finest rosés from California and Washington to the South of France.  I have to admit I was skeptical of the Finger Lakes when I went to visit, but I was pleasantly surprised.  This wine would pair well with fresh summer caprese salad, a variety of cheeses, seared salmon or barbecue.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a dinner inspired by the other end of my vacation, a Vermont maple syrup glazed ham, mashed potatoes and steamed peas. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment