Saturday, September 2, 2023

2011 Girard Napa Valley Petit Sirah

Happy Cellar Saturday!  It's the first Saturday of a new month and that means it's time to raid the cellar and find a bottle at least a decade in waiting to open and enjoy.  Tonight I've found a bottle that I likely bought while I still lived in Michigan, before they eliminated the requirement to place price tags on all retail products, so even though I can't remember where I bought this wine, I know I paid $26.99 for it!  The 2011 Girard Napa Valley is a big bold wine, as is often the case with this varietal, so let's see how it's tasting!

2011 Girard Napa Valley Petit Sirah

The wine is a deep, inky black with bright ruby along the edges, still holding up well a dozen years after harvest.  The nose is rich in ripe black fruit, cherry, currant and plum intermingled with some lilac notes intertwined with some charcoal.  The first sip is a rush of black cherry, blueberry and plum that eases into some notes of basalt and mocha midpalate.  The tannins are well structured, providing for a velvety dry finish with a reprise of acidity at the end.

Seared petite prime filet mignon with mushroom risotto and roasted baby cauliflower

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a wonderful example of the hearty wines from this oft overlooked varietal.  This wine would pair well with a variety of steaks, rack of lamb, hearty roast beef or rich braised bison short ribs.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a seared petite prime filet mignon along with some mushroom risotto and roasted baby cauliflower.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment