Saturday, September 9, 2023

2018 Jigar Wines Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  It's been a while since I've posted because I was away on my summer vacation road trip, this time to Maine with stops in the Finger Lakes of New York (stay tuned for a future post!), Vermont and New Hampshire.  And now that I'm back, I just made a giant pot of pasta sauce from a 25-lb box of tomatoes I brought back from the Finger Lakes, which I will be canning tomorrow.  But aside from all this activity today, I've opened a bottle of wine to enjoy before heading to the theatre tonight (man, I do lead a busy life!).  Tonight's wine is a 2018 Jigar Wines Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon that I recently bought from Wines Till Sold Out, a 100% Cabernet from vineyards in eastern Sonoma County.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2018 Jigar Wines Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is an inky black at the center with bright ruby along the edges.  A gentle swirl in the glass reveals aromas of leather, blackberry and dried herbs that bring images of subdued luxury to mind.  The first sip brings a rush of ripe berry flavors, blueberry, blackberry and sweet cherry that ease into some notes of dark chocolate and mocha midpalate.  The tannins are soft but well integrated, providing for a wonderfully smooth dry finish with a reprise of cherry at the end.

Rare grilled ribeye steak, grilled hatch chilis and leeks, along with some linguine tossed with broccoli rabe sautéed in garlic and olive oil

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a nicely drinking Cabernet that could be an everyday sipper at the value price of just $20.  This wine would pair with a variety of hearty dishes from steaks and roasts, pasta dishes (stay tuned for a sauce update!) or braised short ribs.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled ribeye steak, grilled hatch chilis and leeks, along with some linguine tossed with broccoli rabe sautéed in garlic and olive oil.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment