Monday, July 5, 2021

Walla Walla Wine Tasting Vacation - Day 4

 Well, I made it to my last day of wine tasting in Walla Walla, and since I wanted to make one last stop at Syzygy Wines, based on the recommendation from Katie at Pepper Bridge.  Unfortunately, since they didn't open until 11, I decided to do a few other things to allow the time to line up.  First I went to the Walla Walla farmers' market and bought a few things, including a nice  barrel stave table top rack that can hold a nice magnum or larger bottle in my dining room.  After the farmers' market I decided to stop by Forgeron Cellars to do an impromptu tasting.

The Forgeron Cellars Tasting Room

I certainly appreciate winemaker Cody being willing to host me, and I had a very nice time tasting some of the classic Anvil Syrah, the Minnick and the Merlot.  I also had a chance to taste their new sparkling wine, which I thought was very good, though I confess I'm not much of a sparkling wine drinker.

Some of the Anvil wines I tasted

After Forgeron, I headed to the airport to the Syzygy tasting room.  This brings back memories of the early days of Walla Walla wine, when a number of wineries were operating out of facilities at the airport.  I had a chance to meet Zach Brettler, the owner and winemaker, and I was pleased to have a wonderful conversation and learn that we have very similar tastes in wine.  

The 2009 and 2010 Saros Blends from Syzygy

Zach took a break from making wine for close to a decade, but started back up again in 2020, though his most recent release was the 2010 Saros, a blend of Tempanillo, Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon.  So we tasted through his entire current lineup, including the 2010 Columbia Valley red wine, which is a steal for $27, the 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon and the 2009 and 2010 Saros.  They were really all quite good, so I bought a couple bottles of each, so stay tuned for a more detailed review of each at some point.  This ended my Walla Walla wine tasting vacation, as I headed out of town on US 12 to go to Glacier National Park.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment