Saturday, July 17, 2021

2016 Maison Bleue Voyageur Syrah

Happy Saturday!  It's been a day of intense yard work, as today was hedge trimming day!  I managed to trim all the bushes and hedges in the front yard, and my arms and back will be paying the price tomorrow, and I still need to do the back yard and rake up all the branches!  In any case, I have to clean up for the theater tonight, so I've opened a bottle of 2016 Maison Bleue Voyageur Syrah.  It's been a while since I've had any wines from Maison Bleue, despite the fact that I am a shareholder in the vineyard as they don't ship to Indiana!  But having recently visited Walla Walla, I brought back a case of Maison Bleue and Pambrun wine, so I'm set for a while!  This particular vintage is a 100% Syrah sourced from the Les Collines, Stone Valley and Yellow Jacket Vineyards in the Walla Walla AVA of Washington.  So let's see how this wine is tasting!

2016 Maison Bleue Voyageur Syrah

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with great clarity.  A gentle swirl releases aromas of black raspberry, currant and ample mineral notes of graphite and dusty loam.  A sip reveals an unexpected rush of vibrant, sweet fruit, blackberry, currant and plum that dance around your palate before easing into notes of floral notes of violets intermingles with some tobacco and herb notes.  The tannins are supple bringing the finish to a climactic moment that brings you a sigh of easy satisfaction as you reach of another sip.

Maple sesame wild sockeye, pasta salad and srirach slaw

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a pleasant drinking classic Syrah from the Walla Walla Valley, unpretentious and approachable.  This wine would pair well with a variety of challenging dishes, from spiced Moroccan chicken, to green curry to a classic lamb.  Tonight I am enjoying this with a summery dinner of maple sesame wild sockeye along with some chilled pasta salad and sriracha slaw.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment