Sunday, July 25, 2021

2016 Rutherford Hill Napa Valley Merlot

Happy Sunday!  I'll admit I spend most of the afternoon working and then mowing, so I'm definitely ready for a nice glass of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of wine that I picked up at my local supermarket yesterday, the 2016 Rutherford Hill Napa Valley Merlot.  Given the unpopularity (is that a word?) of Merlot when compared to Cabernet, there are usually bargains to be found as in this case.  My market was apparently discontinuing this wine, and it was marked down to $19, so how could I resist?  I put four bottles in my cart and then the friendly cashier reminded me if I bought six I'd get an extra 10% off, for a net cost of around $17!  So, let's see if this bargain was worth the price!

2016 Rutherford Hill Napa Valley Merlot

The wine is a deep, inky black at the center with bright ruby along the edges, just as you might expect from a Napa Merlot.  A quick swirl reveals aromas of ripe blackberry, cherry and cassis, with undertones of dried herbs and baking spice.  Take a sip and your palate is enveloped by a velvety cascade of ripe black fruit interspersed with some earthy mineral notes and hints of anise and violet.  The tannins a lush, providing a nice backdrop for the long, voluptuous dry finish.

Grilled porterhouse with sautéed onions and oven roasted purple potatoes

Overall, this wine was well worth the bargain price and I'd rate this one a solid 9, as it's a classic Napa Valley Merlot.  This wine would pair well with hearty pasta dishes, soft cheese, or a nice steak.  Tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a rare grilled porterhouse topped with sautéed sweet and red onions, along with steamed broccoli and oven roasted purple potatoes.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment