Friday, August 9, 2019

2016 Forgeron Primitivo

Happy Friday!  It's been a busy week and I finished work a bit early today, only to do more work in the yard to prepare for a cookout I'm hosting tomorrow.  It seems my labor never ends!  At least tonight as I am cooking some food ahead for tomorrow, I can enjoy a nice glass of wine and a decent dinner.  Tonight I've opened a recent wine club shipment from Forgeron Cellars, the 2016 Primitivo, from the Stone Tree Vineyard in the Wahluke Slope AVA of Washington.  So let's see how this wine is tasting!

2016 Forgeron Primitivo

The wine is a wonderful bright ruby color in the glass with great clarity.  The nose is a cascade of black tea, dried herbs and notes of red berries overlaid with some earthy notes of leather and graphite.  The taste is a rush of ripe red berries, strawberry, raspberry, currant and cherry that subside to usher in some notes of cherry cola and dark chocolate midpalate.  The finish is quite nice, with well structured tannins supporting a long, smooth and dry finish, that still features a mild reprise of red berry jam.

Halibut, farro and roasted root vegetables

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's just a very pleasant, easy drinking wine that I could easily sip on a summer evening like tonight!  This wine would pair very well with Italian pasta dishes, particularly with an spicy red sauce, but tonight I've taken a different route.  I am enjoying this wine with a pan seared halibut filet that I picked up yesterday at Costco, along with some farro with porcini mushrooms and oven roasted root vegetables.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment