Sunday, August 4, 2019

2015 Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon

I still remember my first trip to Walla Walla, driving into town on U.S. 12 and stopping at the first wineries I saw, Woodward Canyon and L'Ecole No. 41.  I remember buying a few bottles of Artist series Cabernet back then, it was probably the 1999 vintage, but I've been a fan ever since!  So tonight I've decided to open a bottle of the 2015 vintage, which features a lovely photo (not all art is painting!) that just shouts Walla Walla, as I see the wheat fields in the high desert that share an agricultural home with the beautiful vineyards of the valley.  This vintage is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (78%), Petit Verdot (10%), Cabernet Franc (8%) and Merlot (4%) from the Woodward Canyon Estate, Champoux, Sagemoor and Spring Creek Vineyards.  So let's see what this vintage has to offer!

2015 Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep inky indigo, classic for a Cabernet.  The nose is a subdued combination of black cherry, leather and smoke, with just a hint of white pepper spice over the top.  The taste is a rush of sweet black cherry up front before transitioning to some notes of vanilla bean and warm baking spice midpalate.  The tannins are expertly structured, providing for wonderful texture and a fine base for the long, smooth a voluptuous dry finish that lingers on the palate.

Rare ribeye with horseradish and grilled asparagus

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9 as it's a perennial favorite Cabernet from Washington that I've enjoyed far too long!  This wine would of course pair well with a nice steak, but I think it's more versatile than that, as I could enjoy this wine with a broad range of hearty dishes, from steaks and chops, to barbecued ribs and pasta with spicy marinara.  This wine would also be an excellent wine to have with some dark chocolate for dessert!  Tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a thick cut ribeye along with some grilled asparagus and a big baked potato.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment