Saturday, August 17, 2019

2017 Mark Ryan Monkey Wrench

Well, I am continuing my celebration of Washington Wine Month (though to be honest, I thought it was in March, but to a guy like me, every month is Washington Wine Month!) and tonight I've opened a relatively recent Washington red wine, the 2017 Mark Ryan Red Wine.  This wine is about as Right-Bank Bordeaux-y a blend as you can get, with Merlot (47%), Cabernet Sauvignon (30%), Cabernet Franc (14%) and Petit Verdot (9%) from the Columbia Valley of Washington.  I bought a bunch of this wine so I hope it's worth it, let''s see how it tastes!

2017 Mark Ryan Winery Monkey Wrench Bordeaux Blend Wine

The wine is a lovely inky indigo at the center with bright ruby along the edges, just as you'd expect from a Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon heavy blend.  The nose is fresh and young, with aromas of leather, ripe blackberry, blueberry and a hint of spice.  The taste is such the opposite of a staid Bordeaux, with a rush of jammy fruit, blackberry, plum and cassis that transitions to some notes of herb de Provence midpalate.  The tannins are velvety smooth, providing a nice base for the long, smooth dry finish.

Rare grilled New York Strio with roasted root vegetables

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's drinking wonderfully now, but I can see the potential for this gaining in sophistication with a half decade or so in the cellar.  This wine would pair well with a variety of Preovencal dishes, fresh spiced fish, Tuna salad Nicoise, Mussels steamed in tomato broth, but it would also pair well with many summer favorites, from barbecue to grilles steaks.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled New York strip with middle eastern spices, served on a bed of arugula, with some fresh roasted root vegetables,  Cheers!

A fantastic dinner with Mark Ryan Winery

No comments:

Post a Comment