Saturday, August 3, 2019

2007 Girard Artistry

Happy Cellar Saturday!  That magical first Saturday of the month where I dig into the cellar for something at least a decade old to open and enjoy.  Lately I've been thinking about my stash of 2007 Napa Valley red wines and how it would be appropriate to spend a few Cellar Saturdays exploring how this great vintage has developed over the past dozen years.  Tonight is such a wine, with an interesting back story.  This bottle of 2007 Girard Artistry is a blend of Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (61%), Cabernet Franc (13%), Malbec (11%), Petit Verdot (9%) and Merlot (6%) and the interesting back story is where I bought this bottle.  Back in 2011, when I was living in Grand Rapids, the historic 1913 Room restaurant at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel was closing to make room for a Ruth's Chris steakhouse (I know right?) any they set up a room in the lobby level of the hotel where they were selling all sorts of including the remaining contents of the wine cellar!  So I bought this bottle for $29 (the price tag is still on it) along with a few other bottles, silverware and some other souvenirs.  And 8 years later I'm opening it, so let's see how it's fared!

2007 Girard Artistry Napa Valley Red Wine

Let me preface this by letting you know I decanted this wine for about an hour before tasting.  The wine is a deep inky black at the center, with bright fuchsia along the edges, just as you'd expect from a Cabernet centric Napa blend.  The nose is almost Bordeaux-esque, with aromas of blackberry and currant intermingled with earthy leather, graphite and peat.  The taste is delightfully fruit forward with a rush of black cherry and currant that intermingle with some notes of mocha, black pepper spice and hints of lilac for a deep complexity.  The tannins are vibrant and expertly structured to bring body to the long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish.

Rare Prime New York Strip with corn on the cob and sweet peppers

Overall, I would rate this wine a 9.5, as it was definitely worth the wait!  Certainly I recall drinking different vintages of this wine young and they were still very impressive, but this gives me some confidence that the dynamic 2007 Napa vintage is still a star.  This wine is begging for a big steak, and I will oblige with a rare grilled prime New York strip, grilled corn on the cob and bacon roasted Brussels sprouts, and I'm enjoying dinner on the patio this evening, something I haven't done much this summer!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment