Sunday, February 3, 2019

2009 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  I know I was supposed to post my Cellar Saturday selection yesterday, but I forgot that I had made dinner plans with a friend, so I deferred it to a Cellar Sunday for this month.  And this one is a special one, as it's been sitting in the cellar for a good six years, the 2009 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, a 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from the Alexander Valley in Sonoma County.  Well, since I'm already a day late and a buck short, let's get to tasting this wine!


The wine is a deep, inky purple color in the glass, with bright ruby tint throughout, classic for a Sonoma Cabernet.  The nose presents aromas of leather, tobacco, blackberry and kirsch, beckoning you to take a sip.  The taste is somewhat subdued at the outset, with some mellow black fruit up front, blackberry, cherry and plum that break to some notes of caramel, graphite and dark chocolate midpalate.  The tannins are elegantly structured, providing for a long, smooth and very dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's certainly very age worthy and would likely improve even more over the next decade.  This wine is a classic big Cabernet, worthy of a nice thick steak, and I'm in luck!  Tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a rare grilled Prime ribcap along with some grilled asparagus and a big baked potato.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment