Wednesday, August 5, 2026

2020 Stag's Leap Winery Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Wine Wednesday!  With the summer winding down, I've been hard at work getting ready for classes to begin in just a few short weeks.  But there is alsways time for wine and tonight I've opened a wine that has become more of a favorite of mine.  The 2020 Stag's Leap Winery Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is a blend primarily of Cabernet Sauvignon, but likely has some other Bordeaux varietals included in the blend, but unfortunately I could not find a tech sheet at the winery website, so we'll just go with it!

2020 Stag's Leap Winery Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a classic inky black at the center with ruby edges, just as you'd expect from a nice Napa Cabernet.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, green grass, lavender and a hint of oak.  The first sip is an explosion of ripe black fruit, blackberry, cherry and plum that transitions easily to some notes of vanilla and clove midpalate.  The tannins are well structured, providing an ideal backbone for the exceptionally long, smooth dry finish.

Bone-in ribeye, grilled rare and topped with garlic scapes, with roasted beets and carrots

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just an ideal example of a fine Napa Cabernet Sauvignon.  This wine would pair well with braised short ribs, rack of lamb or hearty pasta, but what it really needs is a big steak.  And I'm in luck, as tonight I am enjoying this wine with a thick bone-in ribeye, grilled rare and topped with garlic scapes, along with roasted beets and carrots.  Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment