Sunday, February 10, 2019

2014 Two Vines Columbia Valley Merlot - Cabernet

Happy Sunday!  Today I saw what I thought were early signs of spring, as a lone chipmunk emerged from his den and sat on the deck, but by this evening with several inches of fresh new snow, that little critter likely wished he'd stayed in bed!  So tonight I've decided to open a bottle of super bargain wine I found at my local supermarket yesterday, the 2014 Two Vines Columbia Valley Merlot - Cabernet.  Now from what I understand, Two Vines is a value positioned brand from Columbia Crest, and this particular wine is a blend of Merlot (50%), Cabernet Franc (49%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (1%).  So let's see how this bargain basement wine tastes!


The wine is a bright ruby color in the glass, a little lighter in color than you might expect from the varietals.  The nose is a pleasant combination of leather, green grass and a bit of cherry.  The taste is fruit forward with a rush of black cherry and blackberry that transitions to some notes of black pepper and peat midpalate.  The tannins are pretty flat, making the finish dry but rather abrupt.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7, it's nothing spectacular by any stretch, but since I found this wine for only $2.99, how could I complain?  It's the type of wine that an easy one to drink or use in a marinade and you don't feel bad in either case.  This wine is ideal for those inexpensive, casual meals that you have no idea what wine to pair it with, like tonight, I'm enjoying this wine with some tacos!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment