Wednesday, February 6, 2019

2016 DaMa Grenache

Happy Wine Wednesday!  I can't remember the last time I posted on a Wednesday so we should enjoy it while it lasts.  Tonight I've opened up a wine that I thought would pair well with my dinner, a very Pacific Northwest themed evening overall, so I've opened the 2016 Grenache from my recent DaMa Wine Club shipment.  This wine is a 100% Grenache from the Lonesome Spring Vineyard in the Columbia Valley of Washington.  So let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a lighter bright garnet color with great clarity, just as you'd expect from a pure Grenache.  The nose is a pleasant combination of bright red fruit intermingled with perfumed floral notes, strawberry, raspberry and some lavender and rose petals.  The taste is a burst of cherry, strawberry and red currant up front that transitions nicely to some notes of cocoa powder, tobacco and mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins are soft, but well integrated, for a wonderfully long, smooth and dry finish that lingers a bit.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a pleasant, easy drinking wine that would pair well with a variety of dishes, from venison to seafood.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic Pacific Northwest dinner of Alder planked wild Coho salmon, with some rice and oven roasted baby bok choi.  The fruit and aromatics of this wine are just wonderful to counter the rich fattiness of the salmon.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment