Sunday, September 1, 2024

2020 Château Laurou 'Les Complices' Fronton

Well, I got a lot of chores done today, laundry, mowing, and I broke out the leaf vacuum, as I had some leaves come down in the front yard from a recent storm, but fall is rapidly approaching, so it's good practice!  At any rate, I'm now ready for a nice dinner on my labor day weekend, and a nice bottle of wine!  Tonight, I've opened a bottle of 2020 Château Laurou 'Les Complices' Fronton that I purchased a month or two ago from Wines Till Sold Out.  This wine has a new varietal for me, as it's a blend of Negrette and Syrah from the southwest of France.  So, let's see what this wine has to offer!

2020 Château Laurou 'Les Complices' Fronton

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with nice clarity.  The nose presents a wonderful fruity, floral presence, with aromas of blackberry intermingled with violet and rose petals the grab your attention.  The first sip is trip, with the floral notes continuing amid some tart cherry and earthy peat notes, amid robust tannins that coat your palate.  The finish is very dry, with a continuation of the floral notes resulting in an elegant complexity.

Steamed Maine lobster with drawn butter and corn on the cob

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a wonderfully drinking wine, but the floral and earthy notes were a bit too much for me.  This wine would pair well with rich foods, much like the foods of France, with lots of heavy cream sauces, like a seafood Newburg, or filet mignon topped with Béarnaise.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a long tradition of Labor Day meals, steamed Maine lobster with drawn butter and corn on the cob.  This meal dates back to my sophomore year of college, when the Civil Air Patrol had their annual fall fundraiser selling lobsters for $5 each!  So, a bunch of my fraternity brothers would each pitch in $10 and we would have a feast!  I still have the lobster pot I bought to cook them in, and thus a tradition was born, though the price has changed a bit.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment