Saturday, September 21, 2024

2020 Browne Family Vineyards Bitner Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, it's been a busy day, from running to the farmers market to having lunch with two cousins who flew in from Chicago, to blowing leaves and mowing the lawn, I am about ready for a nice dinner and a glass of wine.  Tonight, I've opened a bottle of Washington wine that I recently purchased at Costco, the 2020 Browne Family Vineyards Bitner Estate Cabernet Sauvignon.  As I recall, the last time I visited Walla Walla, Browne Family Vineyards had just opened a tasting room in the same building that Rotie Cellars was located (or maybe next door, my memory isn't what it used to be!).  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2020 Browne Family Vineyards Bitner Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep, inky indigo at the center, with garnet along the edges, just as you'd expect from a big Cabernet.  A little swirl of the glass reveals aromas of leather, graphite, oak and cassis reminiscent of an Ivy League library.  The first sip is a velvety rush of ripe black fruit, blackberry, cherry and plum that coat your palate, before transitioning to some pipe tobacco and violet notes midpalate.  The tannins are big but well behaved, providing for a wonderfully dry finish with a bit of bitter herbs at the end.

Pan seared prime filet mignon with oven roasted broccolini and shishito peppers

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a pleasant drinking Cabernet, but I admit I am not as much of a fan of the bitter end notes.  This wine was also a good value, as I found it at Costco for just $25.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty dishes, from braised short ribs to grilled steak, rack of lamb to hearty pasta.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a pan seared prime filet mignon with a big baked potato and some oven roasted broccolini and shishito peppers.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment