Sunday, September 22, 2024

2016 Torrevento 'Vigna Pedale' Castel del Monte Riserva

Happy Sunday!  It's been rainy all day, but I still feel like I've been going non-stop all day (have I mentioned that I need a vacation?) but now it's time for Sunday dinner and a nice glass of wine.  Tonight, I've opened a bottle that I recently purchased from Wines Till Sold Out.  The 2016 Torrevento 'Vigna Pedale' Castel del Monte Riserva is made from Nero di Troia, a varietal from Puglia that I haven't tried before, so this evening is getting more exciting by the minute!  

2016 Torrevento 'Vigna Pedale' Castel del Monte Riserva

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with a sturdier body than your typical Sangiovese.  A little swirl of the glass reveals aromas of leather, earthy mineral notes of basalt amid undertones of plum and red currant.  The first sip is a rush of tart cherry that quickly subsides into pleasant flavors of raspberry, toasted oak and a bit of spice box reminiscent of an old Italian market.  A thread of acidity seems to permeate the taste throughout, making this a little more lively than a typical red wine.  The tannins are nicely structured, providing for a smooth dry finish that will have you reaching for another sip.

Stuffed shells

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a food friendly and pleasant drinking wine that was a terrific value (I bought this one on sale for $13, but even at the regular price of $17 this is a winner).  This wine would pair well with hearty steaks and chops, grilled lamb or any number of hearty, classic Italian dishes.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with some stuffed shells I made for Sunday dinner, using some of my homemade sauce from a few weeks ago.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment