Saturday, September 14, 2024

2020 Helix Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Today has been an extra work day as I try to catch up on a number of projects (I think I have a bad habit of allowing too much on my plate, and not just at dinner!), so now I've decided to open a bottle of wine that just arrived yesterday.  I think I ordered this around Father's day as Reininger was running a sale, but because of the heat of summer it didn't ship until last week.  The 2020 Helix Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is a blend if Cabernet Sauvignon (89%), Tempranillo (7%) and Malbec (4%) from the Phinny Hill, Stone Tree and Stone Valley Vineyards in the Columbia Valley AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2020 Helix Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass with nice clarity.  The nose reveals and intriguing and complex layer of aromas, graphite, blackberry, leather, pipe tobacco, floral notes of violet amid hints of basalt, all of which have your mind racing in anticipation of the taste.  The first sip is a rush of ripe black fruit, blackberry, cherry and currant, surrounded by bright acidity that catapults you to some wonderful mineral notes midpalate.  The fine grain tannins provide for a lengthy dry finish amidst notes of toasty oak that make this wine a rustic champ.

Rare grilled, prime bone-in ribeye with sautéed onions, peppers and mushrooms with steamed corn on the cob

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a wonderfully complex, yet easy drinking wine that belies it's inexpensive price tag (I bought a half case for $160, and wish I'd bought more!).  This wine would pair well with a range of fall comfort dishes, from hearty beef stew or chili, pasta and risotto, or classic grilled steaks or lamb.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled, prime bone-in ribeye with sautéed onions, peppers and mushrooms with some steamed corn on the cob.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment