Sunday, August 25, 2024

2016 Cobblestone Vineyards Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

Happy Sunday!  Today was an adventurous afternoon as I harvested the first of my tomatoes and then proceeded to immediately use the tomatoes and basil I grew myself to make 3 quarts of sauce, my first sauce of the year and a special one since it is the product of my own agricultural urges!  And though I used some wine in making the sauce, I've decided to open up something completely different to enjoy while the jars of sauce are processing.  The 2016 Cobblestone Vineyards Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve is a wine I bought last year from Wines Till Sold Out, and is composed of Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot from the best of the fruit from the 2016 vintage. So, let's see what this wine has to offer!

2016 Cobblestone Vineyards Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

The wine is an inky black at the center with garnet along the edges, just as you'd expect from a big Napa Cabernet.  The nose presents aromas of leather, blackberry and toasted oak with undertones of plum and cassis.  The first sip is not at all what I was expecting, a rush of tart cherry envelops your palate, easing into some dusty limestone and tawny port notes midpalate.  The fruit continues to cascade in your mouth as you get to the white pepper spice near the finish, which is supported by velvety smooth tannins for a classic long, dry finish.

Rare grilled T-bone steak, grilled broccolini and hatch chiles, and mushroom pasta

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's drinking well now, but would likely improve even more with some time in the cellar.  This wine was also a good value at just $27 when I bought it.  This wine would pair well with meat, especially red meat!  This would do well with hearty steaks, rack of lamb, grilled pork tenderloin or even barbecued ribs.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled T-bone steak, grilled broccolini and hatch chiles, and mushroom pasta.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment