Sunday, August 11, 2024

2020 Raymond Mountain District Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  It's been a while since I've posted, and I blame that on a despicable work schedule along with a dreaded summer cold I've been battling (so my sense of smell might not be as accurate this evening!).  In any case, I'm ready for a relaxing Sunday dinner following a weekend of work (see above) and given my planned meal, I couldn't think of a better wine to open than the 2020 Raymond Mountain District Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  I think I bought this one several months back from Wines Till Sold Out, so let's see how this fire tainted vintage is tasting.

2020 Raymond Mountain District Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a brooding ruby color in the glass, with a dark center as you'd expect on a nice Napa Cabernet.  A gentle swirl reveals aromas of earthy leather, green grass and hints of blackberry amid undertones of minerality.  The first sip is a rush of tart cherry, blackberry and currant that awash your palate before transitioning to some notes of dark chocolate and espresso midpalate.  The tannins are velvety and provide an ideal base for the long, classically Napa dry finish.

Tomahawk grilled Pittsburgh rare, served with roasted hatch chiles and fresh sweet corn

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a classic big honkin' Napa Valley Cabernet that I bought for a solid value price at just $40.  This wine would pair well with a range of dishes, from hearty pasta and braised short ribs, to barbecue and lamb.  Of course, for me a big honkin' Cabernet calls for a big honkin' steak, so tonight I am enjoying this wine with a tomahawk grilled Pittsburgh rare, served with roasted hatch chiles and fresh sweet corn I picked up at the farmer's market yesterday.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment