Sunday, July 28, 2024

2020 Mark Ryan Winery Old Vines Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  Well, I admit I'm a bit embarrassed as I chose my wine for this evening as I was considering my Sunday dinner choices, and I realized that I went out of order on the Mark Ryan Winery Old Vines Cabernet Sauvignon, as last month I reviewed the 2021 vintage (see here) but had never reviewed the 2020 vintage (curse you shiny object focus!).  So, I am making amend and opening a bottle of 2020 Mark Ryan Winery Old Vines Cabernet Sauvignon, a 100% Cabernet from the Red Willow and Ciel du Cheval vineyards in the Columbia Valley AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this wine is shaping up with an extra year in the cellar!

2020 Mark Ryan Winery Old Vines Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is an inky black at the center, with deep ruby all around, just as you'd expect from a nice Cabernet.  A little swirl reveals aromas of black cherry, currant, leather and cedar signaling a perfectly Northwest experience ahead.  The first sip is a rush of intriguing fruit with tart cherry, leading into blueberries and blackberries, all easing into some mint and dusty limestone midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured to provide the backbone to the lingering dry finish that will have you pondering the shortness of summer at the end.

Rare grilled ribeye with fire roasted Hatch chiles, oven roasted purple potatoes and asparagus with Hollandaise

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's not quite as nice as the 2021 vintage, but still a lovely Cabernet.  This wine would pair well with classic steaks and chops, grilled lamb or hearty pasta.  Tonight, I am celebrating the start of Hatch chile season, as I just picked some up at my local market, so I'm enjoying this wine with a rare grilled ribeye with fire roasted Hatch chiles, oven roasted purple potatoes and asparagus with Hollandaise, for a completely random Sunday dinner!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment