Friday, November 26, 2021

2018 Forgeron Cellars Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

While most of the country was desperately spending money on holiday presents today, I decided to spend the entire day trying to finish the leaves in my yard, and though I made progress I did not finish (though my back may be telling me that I am indeed finished!).  So, now I'm ready for a nice dinner and a good bottle of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of a recent wine club shipment from Forgeron Cellars, the 2018 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon.  So let's see how this wine is shaping up!

2018 Forgeron Cellars Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a beautiful ruby color in the glass, with a bit of indigo at the center, just as you might expect from a quality Cabernet.  A gentle swirl releases aromas of black cherry, earthy graphite and hints of peppery spice.  Take a sip and you quickly realize the Bordeaux styling of this Cabernet with a rush of black cherry and currant at the outset, that transitions easily to some notes of cedar, dark chocolate and black pepper spice that has a nice bit of acidity at the finish.  The tannins are nicely integrated to give backbone to the lingering dry finish that will have you reaching for your next sip.

Thick cut ribeye steak grilled Pittsburgh rare along with some steamed asparagus with hollandaise

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a really nice example of they classic Walla Walla Cabernet.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty fall dishes, from braised short ribs to rack of lamb or hearty pasta.  The winery recommended pairing this wine with prime rib, which is ironic as I actually bought a prime rib roast and sliced it into some steaks since my local market didn't have any thick cut ribeyes!  That thick cut steak grilled Pittsburgh rare along with some steamed asparagus with hollandaise and a big baked potato make for a perfect dinner with this wine.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment