Sunday, November 7, 2021

2018 DaMa Walla Walla Valley Merlot

Well, it was a relaxing Sunday, as I finished most of the yard work yesterday, so I had the chance to lounge around and go for a bike ride this afternoon before it got dark at what seemed like 4 pm, tell me why we still do daylight savings time?  In any case, I've been cooking my Sunday dinner as a taste of fall, so what better wine to open than a fall release from DaMa Wines?  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2018 DaMa Walla Walla Valley Merlot, a 100% Merlot from the Seven Hills Vineyard.  So, let's see what this wine has to offer.

2018 DaMa Walla Walla Valley Merlot

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, just as you'd expect from a nice Merlot.  A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of tart cherry, cranberry and dried herbs with just a hint of violet.  Take a sip and your palate is enveloped in sweet candied fruit notes, cherry, currant and raspberry that transition effortlessly to some earthy notes of dusty limestone and spice box midpalate.  The tannins are well structured providing for a lengthy and enjoyable dry finish that will have you reaching to take another sip.

grilled veal loin chop along with some oven roasted root vegetables

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a classic example of the varietal with a definite old world flair.  This wine would pair well with a range of red meat, from steaks and chops, to venison or a classic prime rib.  Tonight I am taking a definite fall approach with this wine and enjoying with with a blackened spice grilled veal loin chop along with some oven roasted root vegetables that I picked up at the farmer's market.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment