Friday, November 12, 2021

2018 Forgeron Malbec

Happy Friday!  I've been waiting for the weekend, though not to relax as I have a lot of leaf gathering yard work to accomplish over the next two days.  So, since it's dark by the time I'm done with work, I can't start early, so I may as well enjoy a bottle of wine before the hard work begins.  Tonight, I've opened a bottle from a wine club shipment I received today, the 2018 Forgeron Malbec, a 100% Malbec from the StoneTree Vineyard in the Wahluke Slope AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this wine is shaping up!

2018 Forgeron Malbec

The wine is a deep, inky purple in the glass, with bright ruby along the edges, just as you'd expect from a nice Malbec.  A gentle swirl reveals aromas of smoke, ripe blueberry and currant, with undertones of leather and earthy limestone.  Take a sip and a wash of ripe fruit overruns your senses, blueberry, blackberry and currant that transition easily to some earthy mineral notes intermingled with espresso and white pepper, for an intriguing combination midpalate.  The tannins are supple and fully comfortable in a supporting role for the long, smooth dry finish that lingers for a minute or more.

Chorizo and black bean tacos

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a Malbec that tastes and feels like something more than a Malbec.  This wine would pair well with a variety of rich and hearty fall dishes, from braised short ribs to linguine carbonara, as well as midweek easy dinners like pizza or burgers.  Tonight I am going with the latter and enjoying this wine with some chorizo and black bean tacos on corn tortillas and topped with lettuce, cheese, sour cream, avocado and fresh sliced jalapenos.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment